Depression is a severe mental condition characterized by feelings of despondency and dejection. It typically also carries with it feelings of inadequacy and guilt, often accompanied by lack of energy and disturbance of appetite and sleep. Heaviness is a feeling of being weighed down, especially with weariness. It is a mentally oppressive feeling, especially of sadness or grief. Depression is extremely prevalent, causing a host of emotional and physical problems, but behind it is a demonic stronghold of heaviness. Life becomes a chore and, to the one in bondage, it’s like walking through molasses.
Symptoms of a Spirit of Heaviness
• Excessive mourning/grieving over a loss
• Depression• Difficulty in functioning/excessive fatigue
• Suicidal thoughts
• Broken heart/inner hurts
• Self-pity• Change in eating/sleeping
• Feelings of unworthiness/guilt
• No desire to set goals/make plans
Trademarks of Being Full of the Joy of the Lord
• Hopeful for the future
• Peaceful sleep
• Has joy to share with others
How to Minister
• Break the yoke
• Command the spirit to go in Jesus’ name
• FillSteps to Minister
• Make certain you have dealt with unforgiveness first.
• Have them renounce the spirit of heaviness with all its lies and declare that wherever it gained an entrance into their lives it no longer has a right or access.
• Break the yoke of heaviness.
• Break off any and all traumas at their entry points.
• Command the spirit of heaviness with all of its oppression and torment to go in the name of Jesus. Break off any generational curses of that spirit and declare by the blood of Jesus it can no longer pass to them or through them generationally.
• If need be, pray to separate the pain from the memories in their mind. Ask God to fill them with the love of God and the oil of joy to overflowing!
• Lay hands on their head and ask God to heal their mind and balance their neurotransmitters (brain chemicals).
Isaiah 61:1-3 (AMPC)
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed and qualified me to preach the Gospel of good tidings to the meek, the poor, and afflicted; He has sent me to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the [physical and spiritual] captives and the opening of the prison and of the eyes to those who are bound. 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, 3 To grant consolation and joy to those who mourn in Zion—to give them an ornament of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit…
Luke 4:18 (AMP)
The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the good news to the poor; He has sent Me to announce release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to send forth as delivered those who are oppressed [who are downtrodden, bruised, crushed, and broken down by calamity].
Jeremiah 31:12 (AMPC)
They shall…be radiant with joy over the goodness of the Lord…And their life shall be like a watered garden, and they shall not sorrow or languish any more at all.
Psalms 16:11 (AMPC)
You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.
Jeremiah 29:11 (AMPC)
For I know the plans and thoughts that I have for you,’ says the LORD, ‘plans for peace and well-being and not for disaster to give you a future and a hope.